Sustainability is a normal part of our operations.
Highland Group is prepared for a sustainable future
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is an important subject within Highland Group. Social sustainability is one of the pillars in the development and operation of our properties. In addition, we respect the historical value of our buildings. All of our hotels display the sustainable eco-rating: Green Key Gold.
Green Key Gold for Hotels
One of our goals was to attain a Green Key Gold rating; the highest international quality standard for sustainability, the environment and corporate social responsibility in the tourism and recreation sector. The quality standard is granted for one year at a time and reviewed every year (with adapted standards).
- Water savings from taps and showers.
- Limiting energy usage through the use of LED lights and light sensors.
- Switching to green electricity.
- Switching to green gas.
- Minimising the use of plastic.
- Minimising the use of paper.
- Shampoos and soaps with an eco label.
- Fire extinguishers with an eco label.
- Making use of sustainable cleaning products.
- Sustainable writing paper, serviettes and brochures.
- Purchasing as many organic and fair trade products as possible
Food & Beverage products.
- Employing a sustainable purchasing policy and continuously improving our own purchasing process.
- Sustainability statements signed with suppliers.
- The formation of a 'green team' to ensure compliance
with the rules.
- Educating employees about our sustainability policy.
- Informing guests about public transport and environmentally friendly taxis.
We can achieve more through social sustainability.
Building for the future
As a real estate developer, social sustainability is one of our pillars, in addition to sustainability for the environment. We take a broad and indepth approach, talking with residents, employers, employees, banks and local authorities. We use our creativity to co-ordinate the wishes of various stakeholders. This allows us to build the sustainable solutions of the future.
Dutch Cancer Society (KWF)
Highland Group supports the Dutch Cancer Society (KWF). We contribute towards reducing cancer rates, improving treatment and creating a better quality of life for cancer patients.
Respect for historical buildings
In 2010, Amsterdam's 17th-century canal belt was added to the Unesco World Heritage List. As a family business in Amsterdam, we love our historical city centre. We develop and operate our hotels and properties with respect for the historical value of the buildings. We want our city to remain beautiful for the generations to come.